UK Public Health Policy
Whilst improvements in diagnosis and treatment have led to a reduction in mortality rates for breast cancer, efforts to prevent the disease have stalled. The age standardised rate of breast cancer rose 24% in women between 1993-1995 and 2012-2014. Breast Cancer UK believe it is time for a fresh approach to the prevention of breast cancer and a greater focus on all of the risk factors.
We're calling for the prioritisation of the primary prevention of breast cancer; a cancer strategy that acknowledges hormone disrupting chemicals as a potential risk factor for breast cancer; and, greater research investment into the causes of the disease. We engage with Government departments, independent agencies and other relevant stakeholders in an effort to persuade key policy makers that more can be done to help prevent breast cancer, not just deal with the consequences.
Make your voice heard - write to your MP
A lot of laws and regulations that protect people from harmful chemicals originate in the EU. You can write to your elected Member of Parliament and ask what they will do to ensure that public health is protected once the UK leaves the EU.
Breast Cancer UK position
- Breast Cancer UK Manifesto (May 2017)
- Parliamentary Briefing on Breast Cancer Prevention (June 2017)
- Parliamentary Briefing on England Cancer Strategy (debate 8th December 2016)
- Submission to APPG on Cancer's inquiry into progress on the England Cancer Strategy (July 2017)
- Submission to the Environmental Audit Committee's inquiry into The Future of Chemicals Regulation after the EU Referendum (January 2017)
- Response to the UK HSE consultation on EU proposed criteria for EDCs (September 2016)
- Submission to the APPG on Cancer's inquiry into the England Cancer Strategy (June 2016)
- Response to the Independent Cancer Task Force (February 2015)
- Response to the Cancer Task Force's Statement of Intent (April 2015)
- Submission to the Health Select Committee Enquiry on Public Health England (November 2013)
Letters and Joint Statements
- Letter to the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (September 2016)
- Letter to the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Environment and Rural Life Opportunities (September 2016)
- Letter to the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Public Health and Innovation (August 2016)
- Letter to the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Community Health and Care (August 2016)
- Letter to Chancellor on World Cancer Day (February 2016)